× IMPORTANT information for tenants affected by storms and flooding.

Going to the Tribunal to Solve a Tenancy Dispute

Scroll down for five videos to assist you in attending the Tribunal

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) can hear tenancy disputes covered by the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act). QCAT aims to resolve tenancy disputes in a way that is fair, just, accessible, quick and inexpensive.

QCAT can make a range of orders to resolve residential tenancy and rooming accommodation disputes. Parties can apply for a tenancy hearing using a QCAT form 2 Application for Minor Civil Dispute – Residential Tenancy Dispute.

QCAT is a Tribunal and a court of record. Parties must represent themselves and present their own case.  For minor civil dispute-residential tenancy matters  legal representation is not allowed unless exceptional circumstances apply.

To access QCAT forms or fact sheets visit www.qcat.qld.gov.au. If you are a tenant or resident and need tenancy advice about how to respond to a claim or present your matter, you can contact the Qld Statewide Tenant Advice Referral Service (QSTARS) for assistance. This free tenant advice service is managed by Tenants Queensland.

The 5 online videos below provide tenants with tips on resolving tenancy disputes and understanding the dispute process, including the role of the RTA Dispute Resolution Service and the role of QCAT in hearing tenancy disputes.

Part 1 – An overview of the tenancy dispute process, including talking to your lessor or agent, getting advice from a tenant advice service and applying to the RTA dispute resolution service.

Part 2 – An overview of the RTA Dispute Resolution Service that provides free telephone conciliation for tenancy matters and is a necessary first step to resolve tenancy matters that are defined as QCAT non-urgent tenancy matters.

Part 3 – An overview of the role of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) in hearing urgent and non-urgent tenancy matters.

Part 4 – How to apply for a QCAT tenancy hearing and the difference between urgent and non-urgent QCAT applications.

Part 5 – Going to QCAT for a tenancy hearing – what to expect when you attend a hearing as an applicant or a respondent.

These videos were filmed at QCAT in Brisbane. While the QCAT hearing room in your local Magistrates court building may look very different, the process should be similar.

Applying for a tenancy hearing

When you apply to QCAT for a tenancy hearing, you will need to fill in an application form – QCAT Form 2 – Application for minor civil dispute – residential tenancy dispute.

QCAT forms are available online at www.qcat.qld.gov.au or from QCAT or your local Magistrates Court.

Applications must be lodged at QCAT’s Brisbane office or at the local Magistrates Court closest to the rental premises (excluding Brisbane Magistrates Court).

In Brisbane QCAT is located at Level 9, 259 Queen St Brisbane  (GPO Box 1639, Brisbane Qld 4001). You can phone QCAT on 1300 753 228.

Urgent and Non-Urgent Applications

Tenancy applications to QCAT can be either “urgent” or “non-urgent” . These are defined under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 which lists a number of sections under which parties can apply to the tribunal.

When you apply to QCAT you will need to write the number and name of the section that relates to the reason for your application (for example s 419 Applications about breach of agreements).

A five page guide is attached to the seven page application form. The guide includes a listing the section numbers you may apply under. The section number(s) you need to use will depend on whether your tenancy is a general tenancy or a rooming accommodation agreement, and whether the matter(s) you are seeking an order about is defined in the Act as an urgent or non-urgent application. For example, urgent applications include applications to terminate a tenancy or seek orders about emergency repairs. Non-urgent applications include disputes about bond refunds or compensation, or general disputes about the agreement.

QCAT staff cannot assist you to fill in the application form. You may need to seek advice from a tenant advice service regarding which section of the Act is most appropriate for your matter.

“Urgent” applications are defined in the Act under s415. All other applications are “non-urgent”. This means before you can apply to QCAT for a non-urgent residential tenancy hearing, you must first apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service for conciliation (mediation).

If your dispute is classed as “urgent” you can apply directly to QCAT for a hearing. QCAT prioritise urgent applications, which are usually heard within 2 or 3 weeks, depending on how busy the tribunal is at the time and how often the tribunal hears matters in your local area.

The RTA Dispute Resolution Service

If your dispute is classed as “non-urgent” you must first apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service to try to resolve the dispute, before you can apply to QCAT.

To apply fill in an RTA Form 16 Dispute Resolution Request form and send it into the Residential Tenancies Authority. An RTA conciliator will contact you to help you exchange information to resolve the dispute.

The RTA conciliator will act as a neutral 3rd party and help exchange information between you and the lessor to see if an agreement can be reached. This is a good opportunity to identify details of the dispute and request copies of any relevant documents, such as receipts and invoices.

If you and the lessor are able to reach a voluntary agreement the RTA can help parties put this agreement in writing. If the dispute relates to a bond matter the RTA will simply get both parties to fill in a new Refund of Rental Bond form that reflects this agreement.

If the RTA cannot assist you to resolve your dispute, they will send you a Notice of Unresolved Dispute with a conciliation number. If you apply to QCAT for a non-urgent hearing you will need to write the conciliation number on your application form and attach a copy of your Notice of Unresolved Dispute.

Bond Disputes

For bond disputes, if you are disputing a claim against your bond and have lodged a Form 16 with the RTA and they cannot help you resolve your dispute, the RTA will issue you with a Notice of Unresolved Dispute (NURD).

If you receive a Notice of Unresolved dispute for a bond matter you have 7 days to apply to QCAT for a hearing and notify the RTA. If you don’t notify the RTA within 7 days that you have applied to QCAT for a hearing, the RTA will automatically release the bond money according to the bond refund form lodged by the other party.

For Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) information and RTA tenancy forms visit www.rta.qld.gov.au or phone the RTA on 1300 366 311.

Lodging your application

The QCAT application form lists all the relevant sections of the Act for both “urgent” and “non-urgent” tenancy applications. When you fill in the form, you will need to indicate what section/s you are applying under.

Your QCAT application should also include details of your claim and state the orders you are seeking. You should attach copies of relevant documents or evidence to your application form.

Parties must lodge at least 3 copies of the application with QCAT: one for the Applicant, one for each Respondent (if more than one Applicant or Respondent, lodge additional copies) and one for QCAT.

QCAT can hear tenancy claims for amounts up to $25,000.

QCAT filing fees

When you lodge an application for QCAT, you will need to pay a filing fee. A list of fees is available on the QCAT website.

If are on Centrelink or pension payments, you can apply to QCAT for a waiver of the application fee due to your financial hardship. A form is available on the QCAT website. If you are applying to QCAT for a waiver of the filing fee you need to include evidence of your low income, such as a copy of a current pension card, or Centrelink income statement.

In QCAT each party must bear their own costs to attend the hearing. The filing fee is the only cost that can be claimed in QCAT residential tenancy matters. If you pay a QCAT application fee you can include this fee in your claim against the other party. If your claim is successful QCAT may order the other party reimburse your filing fee costs.

Can you be represented?

Generally all parties involved in a matter before QCAT must represent themselves. However if you are unable to represent yourself (eg: due to illness, disability etc) or are unable to attend the hearing in person (eg: you have moved overseas or are in hospital or prison) you can nominate someone to attend the hearing and act on your behalf, or can apply to QCAT to attend the hearing by telephone.

If you want to be represented by someone else you must seek permission from QCAT. Representation may or may not be allowed. You will need to provide the person with a signed letter from you saying you have authorised them to act on your behalf in relation to the tenancy matter. QCAT also has an Application for leave to be represented form available on the QCAT website.

The person you appoint as your representative should have a good knowledge of your matter and copies of your evidence.

If you are not attending in person it is a good idea to provide your evidence to QCAT in the form of a sworn Affidavit statement signed by a JP. This ensures your statement can be considered as evidence during the hearing.

Can you attend by telephone?

If you cannot attend a QCAT hearing in person you can apply to QCAT to attend a proceeding by telephone or video. You will need to fill in the Application to attend a proceeding by telephone or video Form on the QCAT website. You can email this form to QCAT or fill in the form online.

It is always advisable to attend a hearing in person. If you can only attend via telephone, you should submit any written statements and evidence to QCAT, and provide copies to the other party, prior to the hearing. You may want to include your statement of facts in the form of a sworn Affidavit.

If you are the Respondent

If you are the Respondent the Tribunal will send you a copy of the application lodged by the other party. Look carefully at this application, this is what you need to respond to at the Tribunal hearing.

If you are notified about a tenancy hearing in QCAT it is important to attend. If you do not attend a decision may be made, based solely on evidence presented by the other party.

If you disagree with the application lodged by the other party, gather evidence and prepare what you plan to say at the hearing. It is useful to prepare a written statement to take to the hearing, along with your evidence. If you need assistance or advice to respond to a QCAT tenancy matter contact a tenant advice service.

What the Tribunal will decide

At the hearing the Tribunal Member, or Adjudicator, will look at the evidence presented by each party and may make a final decision about the matter, called an “order”. The Tribunal will send each party a copy of this “order”.

Tribunal orders

The Tribunal has the power to make a range of “orders” in relation to tenancy matters, including;

  • termination orders
  • orders about rent payments
  • orders about repairs
  • orders about the payment of compensation
  • orders about rent increases or decreases
  • orders about bond refunds

Tribunal decisions are final and binding on both parties.

QCAT decisions

QCAT matters are decided on a case by case basis. The tribunal will make their decision based on the evidence put forward by each party.

QCAT will decide residential tenancy disputes in accordance with the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008.

Proceedings in QCAT are guided by the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009 which can be viewed on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.

The QCAT website has links to the Supreme Court Library where you can use keywords to find examples of previous QCAT residential tenancy decisions.

For more information see the Tenants Queensland Tenancy Fact sheets including Resolving Tenancy Disputes. For QCAT forms and information visit  www.qcat.qld.gov.au

Applying for a reopening, correction or renewal

In some circumstances you can use a Application for reopening, correction, renewal or amendment form to apply to QCAT to have the matter re-heard, or to seek changes to the order.

You can apply for a reopening, correction, or renewal if you were not given an opportunity to attend the hearing (eg: did not get the hearing notice, or were otherwise unable to attend), if new evidence has come to light that was not available at the original hearing, or if a mistake was made on the order that needs to be corrected.

To apply for a reopening, renewal or correction you must lodge this form at the Tribunal within 28 days of the original decision.

You may also need to attach an affidavit, or other evidence, to support your reason for the application.

For example if you were unable to attend a hearing because you were  in hospital, you could attach a statement or affidavit to this effect and a copy of your hospital admission form, or a letter from your doctor as evidence.

If applying for a Reopening of a matter it is also useful to let the Tribunal know if  you have evidence that could lead to the tribunal making a different decision if the matter is heard. For example: you may have rent receipts to show your rent is up-to-date. You could point out that if you had been there and been able to present this evidence at the hearing the tribunal may have made a different decision about the matter.

It is up to QCAT to decide whether or not to agree with your request for a Reopening, correction or renewal of the original decision.

Interim order or injunction

If an order was made at the original hearing, and you are applying for a reopening of the matter, you may need to also apply to QCAT for an interim order or injunction to stop the original order being enforced, until after QCAT makes a decision about the reopening.

The QCAT application for interim order or injunction form is available on the QCAT website. You will need to fill in and lodge this form with QCAT when you lodge your application for a reopening.


You can apply for a reopening of the proceeding if:

  • You did not appear at the hearing and had a reasonable excuse for not attending; or
  • You would suffer a substantial injustice if the proceeding was not reopened because significant new evidence has arisen that was not available at the original hearing.


  • You can apply to QCAT to correct a decision if there is a clerical mistake, error, miscalculation, or mistake in the description of a matter, person or thing mentioned in the decision.


  • You can seek a renewal of a final decision if it is not possible to comply with the Tribunal’s final decision, or there are problems with interpreting, implementing or enforcing the decision.

For QCAT forms and information about going to QCAT, visit their website at www.qcat.qld.gov.au

Can you appeal a QCAT decision?

In limited circumstances parties can apply to QCAT for permission to appeal a decision. This applies if QCAT has made an error of fact, or an error in law, when they made their decision, or there is evidence of lack of natural justice or procedural unfairness in the way the matter was heard.

To appeal a tenancy matter you must apply to QCAT using an Application for leave to appeal or appeal form and seek leave to appeal (permission). It is up to QCAT to decide if you have sufficient evidence to appeal the decision.

To appeal a decision you must lodge your application within 28 days of the hearing date, or within 28 days of receiving written reasons for the decision (if you  applied to QCAT for a written decision or a transcript or audio recording of the hearing). If you applied for a reopening, correction, renewal or amendment you need to apply within 28 days of the day your application was finally dealt with.

When lodging an appeal you will need evidence to show that QCAT has made an error of fact or an error of law in deciding the matter, or have evidence that QCAT has not provided you with natural justice in the way the matter was heard. You will need strong evidence to justify your application.

All QCAT hearings are recorded. To appeal a QCAT decision it is advisable to obtain a copy of the recording of your QCAT hearing so you can refer to this recording or transcript when you lodge your Application for Leave to Appeal or Appeal.

To obtain a transcript or recording of the whole hearing, or just the reasons and the final decision, you must apply to QCAT within 14 days of the original hearing. An application form is available on their website. Some costs may apply.

When lodging your Application for Leave to Appeal or Appeal  with QCAT you will need to pay a filing fee of between $315.70 and $631.40. The filing fee depends on the amount being claimed in the original application. If your application for leave to appeal is not granted the Tribunal may refund half your filing fee.

If cost is a problem you can apply to QCAT for a waiver of the application fee. A form is available on the QCAT website. When seeking a waiver of the filing fee you will need to include evidence of your low income and financial hardship, such as a copy of a current pension card or health care card.

If  QCAT made a order, and you are appealing this decision, you may also need to apply for a stay of the original decision. A stay can stop the original order taking effect before your appeal application is decided. An application for a stay of a decision is available on the QCAT website.

It is costly to appeal a QCAT matter and applications to appeal a QCAT decision are rarely successful. It can also take many months for QCAT to decide your application.

If your appeal application is granted the original order may be set aside or changed, or the matter may be referred back to QCAT for a new hearing. QCAT will only grant an appeal if your application can clearly show that QCAT made an error of fact or law when the original matter was decided.

QCAT publishes appeal decisions online on the Supreme Court website at www.sclqld.org.au/caselaw/QCAT. You can search this website for QCAT tenancy matters. Reading comments and decisions from previous QCAT appeals can give you some indication of how QCAT decides appeal matters.

Need help?

If you need help to apply to the Tribunal, or to respond to a Tribunal matter, tenants and rooming residents can contact the Tenants Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) on 1300 744 263